Happy HalloWednesday, everyone! Have you checked out all these awesome VeganMoFo bloggers?
Each Wednesday, I will be sharing some Halloween-inspired recipes, pictures, articles, etc. Because who doesn’t love Halloween?? Today just so happens to include lots of pumpkin.
I think I’m in need of a pumpkin-tervention. I can’t stop.
Breakfast was pumpkin oatmeal with chocolate chips, toasted walnuts, and maple cinnamon protein pudding. Delicious.
And when I can’t sneak pumpkin into my food, I still manage to find a way to make everything pumpkin-y. Exhibit A: pumpkin shaped tortilla chips.
And what would be better than pumpkin-shaped treats?
Answer: Chocolate, pumpkin-shaped treats.
Almond Joy Pumpkins
(Makes 12 Pumpkins, feel free to double or
triple quadruple the recipe)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- 12 almonds
- 1 cup chocolate chips
To make this into a pumpkin shape you will also need a mold. I used a pumpkin shaped ice cube tray. (Make sure your almonds will fit in the tray. You could also cut them in half, if necessary.)
1. Put the coconut in a blender and pulse until it becomes powdery, like this:
2. In a small bowl, combine coconut and agave nectar.
3. Ready for the fun part? Press the coconut mixture into a ball and form around an almond. I ended up with some leftover coconut. If this happens to you, don’t panic. You could simply make extra pumpkins, add the mixture to oatmeal, or eat it with a spoon (I won’t tell anyone). Crisis averted.
4. Place almond balls in the refrigerator to chill. I’m impatient so I stuck them in the freezer.
5. Get your mold ready. I added some coconut oil for easy removal.
6. In a double boiler (or microwave), melt chocolate chips.
7. Option 1: Dip almond balls into chocolate and place in mold. Add chocolate to fill any spaces, if necessary.
Option 2: Scoop chocolate into mold and press almond ball on top. Cover with more chocolate.
8. Repeat with remaining almonds.
9. Place tray into refrigerator/freezer to cool.
10. Try not to eat them all at once. Or do. I won’t tell anyone.
Can’t everyday be HalloWednesday? I’ve already got a few ideas for these bad boys:
Have a great day! See you again tomorrow!